Monday, July 29, 2013

A post that was left in draft for a long time that I just finished

When I was a little kid, I went through this phase where I thought that I wanted to become an astronaut.  (It was 1995 or so, and my favorite show was Space Cases--had Star Trek entered my life around the same time period, my future might've coalesced into something entirely different.)  I read books about NASA, watched space documentaries on television; I imagined what it might be like to take off in a rocket, to work on the International Space Station, to look down at the Earth from a capsule in space.  It took me a few years to give up the ghost and let that dream die, pending a striking realization:  I'd never really had any genuine interest in studying astrophysics or aeronautics, nor did I have any real desire to spend months working on the space station.  My dreams, at the time, had hinged firmly on three concepts:  being able to flip around weightless all the time, having an unrestricted supply of dehydrated ice cream, and being able to pee in my suit.

Nothing has changed.

I am the same naive child that stared up at the night sky and wondered whether sleeping in a space blanket was basically like being a burrito (I was a weird kid).  I'm the same kid who pledged for nineteen years to become a pediatric neurologist, only to flunk out of my first college chem course and take up drama instead--and then, with a sudden raging ambition to work on Broadway, to summarily fail out of drama and flop into sociology as a last resort.  I wanted to be a doctor SO BADLY for those nineteen years--I never doubted for an INSTANT that I would become one.  I imagined myself in the coat, striding purposefully down hospital corridors, making life-or-death calls in the ER during my residency.  I was fascinated by medicine--I read medical dictionaries, textbooks, and web pages incessantly, for years.  I consumed everything I could about the medical profession.  I got straight-A's in high school, took on extracurricular activities, everything I could think of to prepare myself for a high-quality college education and for my future in medical school.

And when I got into chemistry, I looked up at that blackboard, and I thought, "Eh, I never really wanted to do this anyway."  And I left.

But I HAD wanted to do it.  I'd wanted to do it DESPERATELY, for more than three quarters of my life to date.  I was dying to do it. 

Or so I'd thought.  Had I?  Had I really?  How can I ever know?  Clearly, I was unprepared for chemistry; clearly, I lacked a full understanding of what being a doctor actually entailed.  If being a doctor meant I had to learn chemistry, I didn't want to be a doctor any more.  How badly could I have wanted it in the first place?  Maybe I just THOUGHT I wanted it--maybe I'd talked myself into it, kowtowed to parental influence, convinced myself to want it even though I didn't.

And my God--if I can talk myself into wanting something I don't really want, what CAN'T I talk myself into?

That's how I know that it's entirely possible I talked myself into thinking I'm a guy.

That's how I know that no matter how much I might think that I want to, I cannot and should not pursue surgery, hormone therapy, or any other form of medical transition.

If I can't trust my own mind, what the fuck can I trust?

How am I supposed to know what I want when I can make myself want anything?

Why, of all the ludicrous, impossible, unfathomable things, would I want to make myself want this?


No comments:

Post a Comment